Housetraining a puppy is a part of being a good pet parent and also necessary to prevent damage to our floors and homes. However, sometimes you may have trouble getting your puppy to comply with the housebreaking "rules" so this is where an indoor dog potty comes in handy. These specially made products are designed to trap the urine and allow for easy pick up of the feces.
There are five basic styles of indoor dog potties (which we will cover later in more detail) so you have some choices when it comes to this important task. In this post, we will cover all the indoor dog potty options, give you some helpful tips for indoor potty training and also our top five best dog potty picks.
Best Indoor Dog Potty at a Glance
No crinkly sound to scare dogs
Highly absorbent, designed to hold 400 times its weight!
Liquid turns to gel
Carbon absorbs odor
Keeps paws clean and dry
Can't tear up the pee pads
Comes in two sizes
Available in 7 colors
Works with cat litter or pee pads
Dogs are naturally attracted to it
Types of Indoor Dog Potties
There are five different types of indoor dog potties. These are:
1. The Grass Patch. This system resembles a patch of grass and can use real or faux grass. Both of these systems will trap the urine, either by self-absorption or with a tray underneath the entire unit.
2. Doggy Litter Box. Yes, dogs can be litter box trained, too. Manufacturers are now producing specific litter boxes just for small dogs.
3. Grated. Similar to the artificial turf, the grated style of indoor dog potty still utilizes the pan underneath the unit to capture the urine; however, there is no faux grass on top.
4. Absorbent Pads. This type of indoor dog potty is usually used when first potty training a puppy. They utilize a diaper-like material that absorbs the urine preventing it from soaking through to the floor or carpet.
5. Diapers. Although a diaper may not be considered an optimal indoor dog potty, they are very useful when your dog is experiencing incontinence due to illness or old age.
Why Do I Need an Indoor Dog Potty?
People opt for indoor dog potties for various reasons like:
- Working for long hours preventing the dog from relieving himself outside
- Convenient for those living in condos and apartments with or without patios
- Beneficial to seniors who may not be able to get their dogs outside as much as they'd like or are able to do so
- Portable for traveling and hotel use
- Great for boats
How to Train Your Dog for Indoor Potties
Regardless of which type of indoor dog potty you use, there is a training process. Being consistent and having patience is the key to having success when it comes to potty training your puppy or adult dog.
Check out this YouTube video for pee pad/litter box training your puppy.
If you are using the artificial turfs keeping it clean is important. Your dog may be reluctant to use a soiled patch.
Check out this YouTube video showing how to use an artificial turf indoor dog potty.
The Best Indoor Dog Potty - Our Top Picks
Now that you have options for indoor dog potties, check out our top picks for each type. We've also listed them from the least to the best.
Human babies aren't the only ones that can benefit from a diaper. Dogs that are inconvenient, have excitement or anxiety urination or for those females that are in heat, pet parents can make use of these doggy diapers.
The Pet Magasin diapers come in four sizes and in a pack of three in different colors. They are waterproof to prevent leaks and machine washable to keep those nasty plastics out of the landfills. In addition, the Velcro closures will ensure a perfect fit everytime.
- No crinkly sound to scare dogs
- Highly absorbent
- Four sizes to fit most dogs
- Pack of three in different colors
- 2-year warranty and 100% money-back guarantee
- Comfortable for dog
- Some pet parents may find the tail hole awkward
- Some folks may not want to wash a soiled diaper
Pee pads have been around for a while, but the Top Dog Deluxe Pee Pads has risen the bar for quality. These large pads have twice the absorbency and do so twice as fast as the other brands. Their use of carbon will eliminate those foul urine odors and the black color will keep those yucky pee stains out-of-sight. In addition, the liquid turns into a gel to prevent any leakage through to your floors. Plus, this product uses a pheromone attractant to help puppies and adult dogs hit the "right" spot.
- Highly absorbent, designed to hold 400 times its weight!
- Liquid turns to gel
- Carbon absorbs odor
- Large size for bigger dogs, too
- Comes in a pack of 80
- Reasonably priced
- Large may still not be big enough for larger dogs
- Puppy may want to chew on the pee pad
This grate system allows the urine to flow through to the pee pad or newspaper underneath the unit, which effectively keeps those doggy paws clean and dry. This design also traps the urine odor so you won't come home to a stinky mess and your teething puppy can't get at the pad to chew it up. In addition, the entire system is easy to keep clean and is affordable. It's perfect for traveling, apartment balconies and for those folks that work long hours.
- Keeps paws clean and dry
- Can't tear up the pee pads
- Protects floors/carpets
- Great for small dogs
- Locks in the urine
- Some dogs may not like the grate system
- Not suitable for medium or large breed dogs
Cats aren't the only critters that can learn to use a litter box, dogs can, too. And with PuppyGoHere, the task has been made simple. Unlike traditional feline litter pans, the PuppyGoHere is built with a lower entrance way to encourage your puppy to use the box. It can even be used with both traditional cat litters or pee pads, whatever your pup prefers. Plus, it's perfect for busy pet parents or small dogs that don't like the rainy, snowy or cold weather.
- Comes in two sizes
- Available in 7 colors
- Works with cat litter or pee pads
- Comes with a training guide
- Only designed for dogs up to 20 pounds
Our number one pick for the best indoor dog potty is being "awarded" to the Fresh Patch Dog Potty. This remarkable indoor pet toilet was first introduced on the popular entrepreneur television show, the Shark Tank. This unit is above its competitors because it uses hydroponically-grown grass, which is a natural attractant to dogs - this makes indoor training a cinch. The real grass also absorbs odors like no other man-made product can, because it uses a complex root system that is dirt-free and fully disposable - great for the environment!
- Dogs are naturally attracted to it
- Absorbs odors
- Units can be joined together for larger dogs
- Leak proof
- Smells like fresh cut grass when newly opened
- Will have to be replaced
- A bit pricier than traditional astroturf units
The Best Indoor Dog Potty is What Works for You
Whether you choose to use absorbent pads with or without a grate system or the faux or real grass, your canine companion will surely love the option of relieving himself when he has to go. Just keep in mind that all these options will still require you to train your puppy to use them properly. But with lots of patience, praise and persistence you will soon have your puppy or dog using his indoor potty like a pro.